Wednesday, October 1, 2008

CHN – Yao hopes to avoid being bitten by injury bug



HOUSTON (NBA) - Yao Ming’s fitness is one of the hot topics heading into the new NBA campaign.

The China center was in fine fettle with the Houston Rockets in February, only for the 7ft 6in giant to go down with a stress fracture in his foot.

Yao required a season-ending operation and barely made it back in time to play at the Olympics in Beijing.

The Chinese basketball icon this week proclaimed himself fully fit at the team’s media day and spoke of his hope of remaining healthy for a whole year.

"I need to learn something from the last three years, seriously," Yao said. "Maybe I need to be careful with my pre-game workout or something, lay down a little bit, not get my body too tired before a game.

“Let's try some new schedules, put my best shape into the game."

Houston coach Rick Adelman is optimistic that Yao will have a big year but he doesn’t need reminding of the injury problems that have plagued his big man throughout his career.

"I think the biggest thing with Yao is monitoring him on off days, too,” Adelman said.

“He’s such a hard worker that he just runs himself into the ground. He keeps saying he wants to rest, but he never wants to sit out."

Houston general manager Daryl Morey was very clear about Yao’s need to rest.

"Someone needs to probably tell him to cool it," Morey said.

One thing is certain.

Yao’s ability to recover in time from his operation in order to represent his country at the Olympics has given him a positive frame of mind.

"I can't wait to go, for the first pre-season game, the first regular-season game," Yao said.

“The Olympics was a very good tryout for me to prepare for the Rockets season. Some Chinese fans probably won't be happy, but that's just being honest.

“It feels great to come out of the injury. I had a good recovery. I feel fresh and ready for next season."

No comments: